Preaching the Gospel in Taiwan

Sunday, September 22, 2013

MAJOR?!


Dear Mom, Dad, Eric, Belle, and Coffee,

Time is flying at the speed of light and I can't keep my hands on it.  Today we went to the temple and situations being as such I don't have a lot of time to write so I will keep things relatively short.

I will be writing on Monday like normal next week.

The temple was wonderful!  I was a little disappointed however because there was no new film for us Taiwan people.  I probably won't get to see the new film until I return home.  That doesn't matter though.  I was really trying to focus on what major to pursue as I sat in the Celestial Room today.  As if it was meant to be, you asked me which major I want to select.  Honestly, I still don't know.  I can't for the life of me get my mind around what course I want to set for the rest of my life.  What a challenge!  It's so definite!  I know I can change my major, but it's staggeringly difficult to decide.  I've put a lot of thought into medical.  I also feel as though the best living standards come from pursuing business (which I know I shouldn't do as an undergrad being likely worthless).  English sounds not bad as a major, but pre-med sounds great as well. Pre-law would also be an excellent choice.  I can't quite get my mind to focus in on one.  I'm so focused on missionary work that I barely understand what each one is anymore.  I don't want to waste time.  I need to figure things out as soon as possible.  This I know.  Where to go however is still beyond me.  The only revelation I feel like I've honestly received is that I need to be (don't post this online) ridiculously excellent in whichever I pursue.  I need to give it 100%.  President Bishop's undergrad was English and he pursued Medicine at Duke University.  Mitt Romney's undergrad was English and pursued Law/Business at Harvard.  I feel like English is likely a solid choice, giving me a lot of flexibility.  Any thoughts?  Please pick classes immediately.  Just pick for me and I can figure it out later.  I need to get into school.  If it's super urgent, you can get permission to call me and we can talk about it through the phone.

I know that missions end.  I don't want mine to though.  It's so hard to fathom this all ending any time soon.  I hate the idea of not being a full time missionary: everything I'm doing involving serving my Master and King.  I know that by being successful in education, family, and occupation, I can be a wonderful tool in the hands of the Lord.  I need to have these things taken care of in order to be the best most powerful tool in His mighty hand.  That is my goal in life.

I definitely want to minor in Chinese and my characters are considered really good.  So don't worry about characters.  I can read pretty well.  I'll keep working on it though.  Now that I have more direction on having good characters I'll make sure that I use these last couple of months to master some characters.  I want to be raring to go come January.  I want to be a fireball that is in the prime of his element as soon as the semester begins.  It's going to be great.  Please help me with personal advice on picking a major.  Before Monday, please (ALL THREE OF YOU) if you can, tell me exactly what you think with regards to my major.  Of Law, Business, Medicine, and Writing.  Which do I seem most apt to do?  Why?  Give me all thoughts and I will make a definitive decision on Monday.  If today is the last straw, pick ENGLISH.  I will quickly ensure that my GPA is in place for that scholarship you mentioned.  I will work like you won't believe to get it to the level it needs to be. 
  
I'm excited that you all get to go on vacation in a few weeks.  I'm sorry that work and everything has been stressful and layoffs are looming for many, but Mom, you are amazing and I know that you have nothing to worry about.  The Lord will protect us as we obey all of his commandments.  He loves you more than you can comprehend.  Keep serving Him and he will set up everything He for your benefit and experience. 1 Nephi 11:17.

I love you all so much.  Elder Chan and I baptized last week which was amazing.  A truly converted young adult who loves the Savior a ton.  It's great to see the church growing in Taiwan.  This place is so full of wonderful people. I love to serve God.  It is my passion I believe.  I know that I can do all things through Him (Philippians 4:13).  He is mighty to save. 

I will keep working hard.  Please keep helping me on that end with school.  Things need to go smoothly.  I love you all so much.  Thank you all so much for your help.

- Elder Woolsey

No comments:

Post a Comment