Preaching the Gospel in Taiwan

Thursday, September 6, 2012

To Taibei and Back: A Missionary's Tale


Dear Mom, Dad, and Eric,

I have to admit.  Going a week and a half without an email isn't the easiest thing in the whole world.  On top of that, I only have twenty minutes to write what happened in that period of time.  I apologize ahead of time for the nature of this email.  I will respond to yours first and then add a few comments of my own.  Next week I will send a much more fulfilling email I hope. 

I will now begin to reply to the previous email:

Thank you for the contact information.  I'll have to prayerfully decide what to do with it.  Do you happen to know where his family lives?  Also, can you ask him to send his family member's name in characters?

I loved seeing Elder Taylor.  It was a strange, almost surreal experience to see him again and talk to him for so long.  He sounds like he is doing wonderfully well.  I'm so grateful to be in the same mission as one of my friends.  He's actually a great missionary as well.  He works hard, his faith is strong, and he loves the gospel.  I wish that we could serve together someday. 

The people in Taiwan are much skinnier than in America. 

Keep me posted on Mitt Romney's and Obama's statuses.  My mission president said we can vote so please send an absentee ballot and their platforms in the next email.

Football season already?  That's crazy.

Questions and Answers:

1. Am I happy?

A: Absolutely.  I've never been so happy before in my entire life.

2.  Do I cook?

A: Aside from breakfast, almost not at all.  There's no time to come back to the house and cook.  Even if there was, it would be a waste of that time.  It would be inefficient.  I could be talking to people.  Food is cheap in Taiwan so it's not a problem.

3.  Am I used to Taiwan?

A:  Absolutely.  I found this most noticeably answered by my experience in entering a Subway and be literally culture-shocked.  I was so upset by it that I asked my companion if we could leave.  He was a little surprised.  I love Taiwan, but there are things that I miss.  I hope we all can come here on vacation after I return someday.

I want you all to know that I love you very much.  You are the only thing that I really miss.  I can't wait until I can see you all again.  You're a great example of believers in Christ.  You live what you believe.  Thank you for your example.  I'm unfortunately out of time, but I will send another email in only five days. 

- Elder Woolsey

No comments:

Post a Comment