Preaching the Gospel in Taiwan

Saturday, November 2, 2013

2 Samuel 14:14


Dear Mom, Dad, Eric, Belle, and Coffee,

2 Samuel 14:14, “For we must needs [go home], and are as water spilt on the ground, which cannot be gathered up again.”

My mission is passing on "wings of lightning" and seems as though water spilt that cannot again be gathered.  I can stare at it, I can think about its patterns, reflections, and other characteristics, but no matter how hard I try, I can't get that water back in my cup.  I think of how much I've changed and how much I haven't.  When I think of those moments I have changed, I get excited and reminiscent, and when I think of those problems and struggles I still have, I feel inadequate and unworthy to represent the Lord.  Preparation days often make me feel this way.  They are times of reflection and I don't wish want to return anything less than a fully converted disciple of Jesus Christ.  

It's a new move call.  I have already been in JiaYi for six weeks.  That seems crazy to me.  Something exciting happened though.  My apartment just became a four-man which means that we have two new missionaries.  One of which is my last companion Elder Chan from England.  How crazy is that?  We are living together again and it's a lot of fun.  Four-mans are distracting though.  I want to be more focused, and I feel like adding another companionship is going to be a trial, especially considering that Elder Chan came on with me and is essentially going home at the same time.  I want to avoid all talk of anything related to us going home, but somehow it weasels itself into conversations and I have to force it down and out.  It will be a lot of fun though.

Declare me as an English major and pick my classes immediately please.  I worry that I won't be able to go to school properly in the Winter before too much longer, and it's too late to extend.  Don't feel bad about being distracted though.  Naturally that's going to happen when something so intense happens.  If you're OK though, please fill out those things for me.  The time is drawing nigh and I need those things taken care of as soon as possible.  I can get permission to do them myself if needs be.

I hope that Halloween goes well for you all.  I love being with you all during holidays, but Halloween is just a blip on the radar right now, barely recognizable or noteworthy.  

No matter what our trials, they are for our benefit.  I love the gospel because it is truth.  The gospel is the only thing that will save us from our own destruction and inevitable demise.  The gospel will save us and make us happy.  I'm grateful that the Lord saw it fit to give us the gospel.  I want to apply it in my life forever, because it's increasingly rewarding.

This week, we found out that some of our investigators are truly awesome and will likely get baptized next month.  It's really exciting.  We have this family who wants our help so desperately, but it is so difficult to help them.  They are very not intelligent and they struggle to understand nearly anything, but they are so desperate.  They plea with us to help them practically and have seen tons of blessings come from just meeting with us (like them mother's mental problem healing slightly and the children being happier after our first meeting and prayer), but they can't wrap their minds around much of anything.  It's so hard to want to help someone so bad, but not to have a clue how to do it properly.  The Lord will assist, I know it.  

I love you all so much, please take care of yourselves.  Inspire me to work harder.  Inspire me to sprint and push myself.

- Elder Woolsey

No comments:

Post a Comment