Preaching the Gospel in Taiwan

Friday, March 15, 2013

Back in the heartland


Dear Mom, Dad, Eric, Belle, and Coffee,

This has likely been the most crazy and defining week of my mission since I first came to Taiwan.  This week, is the new MOVE CALL or transfer as most people in the church know it to be named.  Having served in Nanzi for HALF of my time in Taiwan, I imagined that I would likely move.  I don't know if you all realized that I was there for so long, but I was and I loved every moment of every day.  When I think of Taiwan, and being on a mission, I think of Nanzi.  I think of this 7/11 we often made calls at . I think of the NANZI EXPORT PROCESSING ZONE (a manufacturing area for semiconductors and other things of that nature).  I think of the wonderful Elders I have served with and the wonderful success we saw.  Well, aside from those brief sentiments, I'm sure you're curious as to what happened.

First and foremost, Elder Magnuson and I had the privilege of seeing four of our investigators enter the waters of baptism and be confirmed as members of this wonderful church Sunday morning.  These individuals' faith and desire to serve the Lord is astounding.  I'm grateful that I could be in such a wonderful area for so long, long enough to see this success, purely from the Lord.  I knew that you would be happy about this.

The next major change was that the page of my mission has turned and a new chapter begun.  I've moved.  I went all the way from the south in Gaoxiong to the very north in Taizhong.  I'm actually right in the heart of the mission.  My area includes the mission home and all that comes with that.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous.  I don't feel qualified and I feel completely out of my element: a new area, a new companion, a new assignment, but that all being said, I know that the Lord will lead me and my companion.  There are people here that need to be baptized and they will be.  My new companion's name is Elder Hoopes.  He's amazing.  He's quite a bit older than me in missionary terms (being on his 13th move-call).  He's a diligent missionary who has baptized a lot here in Taizhong.  I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to baptize a lot more on his mission.  He was actually companions with my trainer Elder Haag right before he became the assistant to the President.  I've already been told that I'm supposed to lead this new area after three weeks (less than one move-call which is far from typical).  The assistants to the president are in this Zone and so are many other older missionaries.  I don't want to give off the vibe that I'm terrified, because I'm extremely excited.  I can't wait to see what we get done here. 

Because of the train ride and other activities that we've had to take care of this morning, I don't have a ton of time to write, but I knew that you would like to know all of that information. 

 I'm grateful that the Lord has blessed our family so much in the short time that I have been in Taiwan.  The blessings of heaven are tremendous and innumerable.  I don't doubt that we are witnessing the hand of God in all that we do.  I'm grateful that Eric is doing so well in all facets as well.

I hope that you all are doing well and that this email finds you safe and sound.  I love this gospel.  I rejoice in the truthfulness of it.  I'm trying as hard as I can to be the best missionary that I can be out here.  Thank you for your love and support and confidence in me.  Seek obedience.

- Elder Woolsey

No comments:

Post a Comment