Preaching the Gospel in Taiwan

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Things are heating up.


Dear Mom, Dad, Eric, Belle, and Coffee,

Well, it has been another week in paradise.  The work seems to be going very well in Taiwan right now.  The mission has had many meetings recently, one of which completely revolutionized the English Program here.  Incredible missionaries like Elder Bailey and Elder Wang took the initiative to take the bull by the horns and create new text-books, advertising, responsibilities, and other mechanics to take our "free English class" and turn it into a well-oiled, primed, efficient machine that will not only actually help the people of Taiwan improve English and many baptisms will follow.

Mom, Dad, Eric, I have never been so happy.  I love the work of the Lord.  I really have a sense of self efficacy.  I feel that as I work my hardest, it will help the mission, and that the mission will help the church.  The Lord allows His missionaries to have this feeling when they try their best.  I've been here for a year, and to be honest, it does not get old.  I love being able to be a tool in the Lord's hands to perhaps bring souls unto Him. 

I can't believe that the weather has been that miserable in America.  It has been getting warmer and warmer here.  With the increase in temperature comes an increase in sweating.  It will be blazing hot before too much longer, of that I am sure.

 A missionary that returned home a while ago came back to visit Taiwan recently.  He told the missionary he trained not to fret about entertainment, or changes at home because it's all there when he returns.  I firmly believe that.  He did say however that you miss your family growing up.  So, to combat this, I exhort you all: You are not allowed to change until I return.  I'm just kidding, but I do miss you all a lot.

The ward changes are exciting, but I imagine that everyone is doing great in their respective callings.  I'm also happy that you accepted the missionaries' invitation to speak with your neighbor. 

Why are the Lakers doing poorly?  It seems as though they should be succeeding with their incredible line-up.  That's very strange to me.

My language is still improving, but it doesn't feel as explosive as it did when I first came to Taiwan.  We as a companionship, typically speaking in Chinglish.

I have not discussed release dates with President Bishop.  We have interviews with the Mission President this week, but I don't know whether or not he will bring it up.  I personally don't think that I will ask him about it because, but if he asks about it, we can discuss it at that point.

 I'm excited about all of the friends who have decided to serve because of the lowered age requirement.  I'm excited to see how these people change over the course of the next 1.5-2 years. 

I apologize that this email is so short, but we don't have much time today.  I love you all so much. I know that the Lord lives and loves you all very much.  This week we had the opportunity to be with a short-term (one-week) missionary to give him a taste of missionary life.  Brother Huang is already an incredible missionary with a powerful testimony.  I believe that he will be a blessing wherever he ends up serving.  I admire his testimony.  I wish that mine was that strong at sixteen.  His understanding of people and such is remarkable for someone so young.  I love seeing the youth of Taiwan already be this strong.

I love you.

- Elder Woosley

No comments:

Post a Comment