Preaching the Gospel in Taiwan

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Is that Lady Gaga or Mom?!


Dear Mom, Dad, and Eric,

We have four baptismal goals right now for this month who are progressing swimmingly. I'm going to keep working as hard as I can to be the best missionary that I can be.

I've had the highest companion to move-call ratio of anyone in the mission which is typically indicative of a missionary that is difficult to work with.  It's nearly 1:1.  It's actually 5 companions : 6 move-calls.  That's kind of crazy.  Some others in my generation have only had three companions. 

I can't even describe how happy I am that you went to the maze and ate Thai food.  That makes me overjoyed.  Spring rolls eh?  I've eaten them and while they are delicious (and are probably better than the ones here)....they aren't REAL spring rolls.  When you come to Taiwan, I'll take you to eat REAL spring rolls.  The ones you eat are probably still better though...  Halloween is a really fun holiday.  This week for English class we had a Halloween Party where we bobbed for apples, had face paint, fishing game, cake walk, donut on a string, pin the tail on the cat, and watched the infamous Family Home Evening video "THE PUMP."  It was a fun night where we could share a little about culture and English.  I ate a little candy all in all so I suppose it counts as Halloween for me. 

Birthday month ...uhh...I mean week has begun huh?  Sounds like fun. I wish I could be there to help you have the best week ever.  I'll write my birthday wishes next Monday and hope that I can send a card today some time.  Birthdays are so much fun, especially when they are someone Else's. 

Hey, random insert here, but I heard the missionary calls have jumped from 700 a week to like 4000 a week.  Is that true?!  What are they going to do!?  Can you imagine!?  A world flooded with missionaries!  That's the way it should be!  They will baptize at least a million people a year.  That's incredible!  The church is about to be HUGE.

I'll answer these questions really quickly:

1. Do we tract or get referrals? In Shalu we tracted a ton and got a ton of referrals.  In Yuanlin we did neither very much, mostly contacting. Here is mostly contacting and referrals.  I tracted yesterday for the first time in over a month.  Working through the ward is most efficient.  Working through the ward is a sacred art that few master.  My trainer was really good at it. 

2. I'm eating.  I'm actually at about 162 pounds right now which is about 23 pounds lighter than when I left home.

3. Missionaries love the bakeries and eat there often. I personally do not because they're fatty.  They're good, but I usually only eat at them on exchanges now.

4.  Elder Cutler is awesome.

5.  The people think missionaries are inconvenient and a hassle when we approach them on the roads, but they don't mind them when they're sitting in their homes.  In fact they love them at that point.  They don't understand is the biggest problem so until they actually meet one, all they know is that they weave in and out of traffic in a dangerous fashion and talk with everyone.

Well, I am doing well.  Really well.  I love the work.  I couldn't be happier.  I miss you all more than you know and I can't wait to talk to you in a couple months.  Have a wonderful birthday, Mom.  Keep inspiring me. 

I think you should start trying to do Family History Work.  I don't know how to do it, but I'm going to work on it when I get home.  We need to help those who have passed on.  They need our help. 

- Elder Woolsey

No comments:

Post a Comment